Chestnut Class (Year 4/5)
Welcome to Year 4 and 5!
Our class teacher is Mrs Lester, except on Fridays, when we are taught by Mrs Daly. Our teaching assistant is Mrs Collins.
This term, we will go to Forest School with Mrs Howe, on Thursday afternoons. Please ensure that all children arrive to school on Thursdays wearing suitable clothing for all weathers, including, layers, long-sleeve top, warm jumper or fleece, long trousers or leggings, warm socks, wellies or weather-proof shoes/boots, a warm, weather-proof coat, hat, scarf and gloves.
Learning this term:
English: Our driver text is 'Who Let the Gods Out', author Maz Evans.
Maths: Multiplication and division, fractions, geometry (properties of shapes).
Science: Grouping living things, changing habitats.
RE: Easter - Christianity.
Art: Exploring still life.
Design and Technology: Food - adapting a recipe.
Geography: Europe - Greece and Athens.
PSHE: Relationships - Working together.
We have PE on Wednesday afternoons and Thursday mornings. Please can all children always have the correct PE kit in school every Wednesday and Thursday, including trainers and suitable clothing for outdoor lessons in all weathers.
As part of our drive to keep active for our mental health and wellbeing, we will all take part in 'The Golden Mile' on Tuesday and Friday mornings. Please could children arrive to school wearing trainers suitable for running on grass and with their school shoes to change into afterwards.
Children taking in part in sports clubs or sporting events during the school day or after school, should also have the correct PE kit in school on those days, including specialist footwear, such as football boots.
More details about what we will be learning this term can be found on our curriculum overview below.
A reminder and details of the homework activities can be found in your child's homework and reading log book and will include:
- Reading - please can children aim to read at least 5 times each week and log their reading in their reading record book.
- Spellings - the children are asked to practise a weekly list of spellings list by completing 'Spelling Soup' choice activities (aiming to achieve at least 15 spelling soup points each week) and/or logging into Spelling Shed and completing the assigned activities.
- Times tables practice - the children have many different methods for learning their times tables but they also enjoy challenging themselves on 'Times Table Rock Stars' and Timestables.co.uk.
- Maths - the children have a homework book and are set 'weekly workouts'.
- English - the children have a homework book and are set weekly grammar or punctuation practice activities.
- Wider Curriculum - the children are given a project to complete across each term.